The Office of Instructional and Research Technology provides coordination for use of information technology throughout the university community in support of instruction and research. As part of the Office of Information Technology, OIRT can meet with departments to review research and instructional IT services at Rutgers.
OIRT staff are available to work with individual instructors and researchers, as well as with departments and other units. Requests for information about OIRT services and activities are welcome. Please send them to the Director, Charles Hedrick.
Who are we and what do we do?
We are university staff and part-time instructors who are passionate about engaging students in their own learning, whether in the classroom, research laboratory, or their co-curricular lives. We do this by working with faculty and staff to encourage communication and collaboration among faculty, students, and staff through the use of modern technology.
How can we help you?
OIRT staff are knowledgeable about technology and pedagogy and how they interact. We believe that effective teaching and learning should drive technology choices, and not the other way around. Consequently, our focus is on creating learning environments that engage learners with each other and with course material.
Our office provides:
- Instructional design for face to face, hybrid, and fully online courses including individual and group consultation and training
- Development of customized eportfolios for schools and units
- Video services including video production, video streaming, video on demand, Rutgers on iTunesU, the Rutgers YouTube channel, videoconferencing, webcasting, screencasting
- Development, support, and maintenance of the Sakai collaboration system
- Support for departments to develop a shared academic software collection
- Support for researchers who need advanced technologies to conduct their research